Where are seniors onto next?

Rachel Howard is graduating with a degree in marine biology.

Many seniors are graduating this year and going on to work in their fields of study.

NOAH REISER

Reiser plans to be a marine science educator on the Catalina Islands, off the coast of Los Angeles, California. He found the job in the midst of conducting his own research for job openings on the internet.

“Roger Williams has a great Career Center, however, they are oriented toward LinkedIn and other resources. They were not much help for a marine biologist,” Reiser said. “They do have great resources, however, they aren’t universally applicable to all job markets. Business majors and others would benefit more from the Career Center than I had.”

Although Reiser has secured a job in his field, he had expected to graduate with a better job opportunity when he was a freshman. He has since realized that in order to get his preferred job, he will have to earn a doctoral degree in his field of study.

Reiser suggested that underclassmen focus on their schoolwork and extracurricular activities, so they can stand out when applying for jobs after graduation.

MARGARITA DELAPORTA

Margarita Delaporta will be entering the workforce as a project engineer for Dimeo Construction in Providence, working at different job sites. She connected with the construction company while she interned for them for the past two years; she secured this internship after attending RWU’s Career Fair.

“Roger Williams helped me a lot with preparing my resume when I first came, with the career center and with all of my professors helping in the process,” Delaporta said.

Starting her college career at Bridgewater State University, Delaporta had hopes of becoming an athletic trainer, but she wanted to change her career path during the second semester of her sophomore year. She then transferred to RWU as a construction management major.

“It is the best decision I have ever made,” Delaporta said.

She advised students to take the time to figure out what they want to do with their lives and make sure it is something they enjoy.

HALLE VARKAL

Halle Varkal is graduating with a degree in psychology. She will be taking a semester off and applying to graduate schools, with the hopes of going into child and family psychology. She will be working at an infertility clinic in the meantime, aiding in research and administrative tasks.

She has not been given any opportunities in her field of study right out of school, because there is not much she can do without a master’s degree or experience. However, she will continue to work toward a career as a psychologist.

“Psychology majors are required to have an internship for at least one semester and during my internship, I worked with children. This helped me realize my love of working with children and since then I decided I wanted to go into child and family psychology to work with them and help them succeed,” Varkal said.

Varkal advises students to find their passions and pursue them. She said that it is alright to not have a solid plan for the future.

RACHEL HOWARD

Rachel Howard will be attending the University of Florida to work toward a doctoral degree in environmental science. She decided to go to graduate school after conducting all of her work on research and study abroad experiences.

“Doing research in Dr. Koty Sharp’s lab on coral solidified my love for coral and reef ecosystems, and now that is what I will be doing in graduate school,” Howard said.

During her freshman year, Howard imagined her future on a boat studying sharks after graduation. She has since broadened her horizons in the field of science and will be doing other work.

“Don’t limit yourself. Be forward and don’t stop until you get what you want. Take as many opportunities as you are offered, even if they don’t sound interesting to you. You might surprise yourself and end up loving it,” Howard said for underclassmen.