A ruff transition

For most students, college is the first time they will be away from their pets for extended periods of time. This can be really hard for a lot of people, especially if they are used to seeing Fluffy or Fido every day. It is a change that students might not even think about before move-in day.  

One of the best things students can do is FaceTime/Skype their parents or siblings and ask to talk to their pets. It may seem weird to talk to an animal that doesn’t speak English, but it certainly helps.

Students aren’t the only ones missing their animals. Most likely, their pets also miss them so being able to hear their voices can ease their sadness. Hanging pictures around the dorm room is a helpful reminder of the love that animals bring and can help give a little joy to students, especially during stressful points of the semester.

Before students leave their house after a weekend at home, leave something that carries your scent close to the pet. For dogs, this can help keep you in their minds even when you aren’t in front of them. College is full of new things, so having an anchor like a pet to remind you of home is a great way to help ease stress. 

Having to leave pets for the first time can be an emotional event. Keeping them close to you even when they are miles away is a necessity to make the transition smooth and not so “ruff.”