College isn’t a fashion show

College is not like high school — all college students know that. Waking up and going to class is easy. Students can throw on sweatpants, a sweatshirt and go. As this semester continues, many freshmen and even some sophomores have realized that their main priority here is to learn.

Cut the girls some slack who roll out of bed and go to class in pajamas. Don’t do double-takes on the guys who come to class wearing slippers.

“I like dressing casually because comfort is key to me. I don’t have to impress anybody. I just want to focus on my studies,” freshman Matthew Leary said.

At its core, college is about academics. In high school, many people “dress to impress.” Although there are definitely people who have already been doing this, college gives students the opportunity to be comfortable while learning.  

Retaining hard information can be difficult. Just think about how much easier it could be if you retained the information wearing baggy sweatpants and a soft t-shirt.

Nobody cares in college. Nobody cares what you are wearing or how others wear it. It is time to start your career and really focus on your ability to learn.

As time goes on, sweatpants will become your best friend. Have a lot of late nights studying or early morning classes? When the alarm goes off, many students want nothing more than a comfortable outfit to wear to class. Some students feel self-conscious wearing such clothes but the more students do it, the more they feel relaxed and go on to realize, again, that nobody cares.

“In high school, I always wore jeans and nice shirts, straightened my hair, [put on] makeup, the whole nine yards,” freshman Hannah Connell said. “Ever since I arrived here, I realized I don’t want to have to do that every day. I started wearing sweatpants and t-shirts and I always feel so much better and more relaxed.”

A lot of juniors and seniors have already figured this out. At the end of the day, fashion decisions come down to personal choice, but know that you can go on with your day wearing the most comfortable clothes. It’s your tuition money, your classes and your college experience. Be you. If you don’t want to wear tight jeans and a snug shirt, don’t feel pressured to.