University extends spring break to prevent COVID-19 exposure

The Emergency Response Team announced on March 10 that spring break will be extended by one week to prepare for the transition to online classes.

The news was announced around 10 p.m. via an all-campus email. Students may come back to campus to grab essential belongings after given instruction on specific times and procedures, which will be communicated to students over the next 24 hours. Until then, students are not allowed back on campus. Residence halls and dining halls will be closed until further notice, according to the email. 

Faculty and staff will continue normal operations in order to start preparations for remote course instruction.

According to the response team, there are no known cases of the virus in the RWU campus community, but these precautions are being taken to limit exposure to community members, their families and friends.

The news comes after schools around the country have made decisions to hold classes and exams remotely. On March 10, Bryant University announced it would move to all online classes from March 17 to March 27, according to an email sent out by University President Ronald Machtley. Brown University cancelled on and off campus events involving 100 people or more, but have not cancelled any classes.

Up-to date information and resources regarding this situation can be found at www.rwu.edu/covid-19

There are now five presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in Rhode Island, according to the Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH).