BREAKING NEWS: President Farish dies suddenly of serious illness

President Donald J. Farish, the 10th president at Roger Williams University, passed away today at Tufts Medical Center in Boston. He was 75.

In an email sent out to the RWU community, Provost Andrew Workman and Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration, Jerome Williams, announced that his death was caused by a “sudden and serious illness” and asked that the community be respectful of his family’s desire for privacy to grieve.

The email recognized Farish’s accomplishments and explained that he “demonstrated a genuine love for students and a steadfast belief in the power of higher education to transform lives.”

The University has set up a remembrance page on Facebook for those who would like to offer their condolences and share memories they have with President Farish.

Professor of Communication and Film, George Marshall, writes: “Our sincere and deepest condolences to Maia, the family of President Farish, the Roger Williams University community and all who knew and loved this remarkable human being. Let us take the time to appreciate his remarkable life, be grateful for the lives he touched and the passion for learning that he shared. Don Farish created a legacy that will burn bright. He gave all who knew him a wonderful gift – the gift of himself. Thank you, Don. You will be missed.”

RWU students have expressed their shock at the heartbreaking news that has spread quickly throughout the community.

Phoebe Wolfman, senior business management major at RWU says, “I was shocked and surprised. It’s really sad.”

A time has been set up to remember Farish on the RWU campus in Bristol on Friday, July 6 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Mary Tefft White Cultural Center. 

The Hawks’ Herald will be updating regularly as new information is released.